Amazon

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dam..Dam..Dam..

Just recently( yesterday or the day before yesterday) the goverment has just announce that it will bulid another 12 more dams in Malaysia. These dams are all going to be situated in the interior of my home state Sarawak. Here's the list of the places that the dam's are going to be build on,

1.Ulu air
2.Metjawah
3.Belaga
4.Baleh
5.Belepeh
6.Lawas
7.Tutoh
8.Limbang
9.Baram
10.Murum
11.Linau Rivers
12. Batang Ai (upgrade)


Whoa thats a heck lot of dams to be built in a single state. It makes sense that as the country is growing,developing the more energy is needed to sustain the developement . Imagine all the electricity used in Microsoft's HQ in KL or even energy used in lighting up the malls (KL has a number of it)

Why am I looking at malls for!! The main reason why all these dam's are being built are for the major industries. Industries that bring in the big bucks for our country to sustain it's developement.

With all of this I am fine with. I don't not want to live in a undevelope country or country with no electricity!!!

What am i afraid of is that building these dam's destroy's the very thing Sarawak is famous for... Its Nature,The Jungle,The Rainforest.

I watched first hand how developement brings destruction to nature. No, I have never seen a dam being built infront of my eyes but in my city itself once filled, planted eith magnificient,beautiful tree's on the way to the airport are now gone. Chop down, cut down, sized into somebodys furniture. Once driving to the airport was something that I enjoy, now it's just hot and filled with concrete jungle.

By buildings these dam's it can offset the balance between nature and man. No! The balance between man and nature has been long gone. The perpreprators are humans, victims.. everything that is in the world.

The amount of damage just to build one dam is bad enough what more 12!!! 12.. now that's a huge number.. Imagine all those animals, endangered or not endangered.. precious tree's.. beautiful marvelous tree's.. All gone..

I know where I stand... I know developement is inevitable but I also love my tree's.. Thorn between the two why can't we find another alternative??

Why??

No comments: